SACRAMENTO, Calif., March 19, 2020—McWong International, a leading innovator in Bluetooth® mesh technology, teamed with project partners Contemporary Energy Solutions, Pentalux, and Silvair to deploy a large TruBlu control network at Yamaha Motors’ midwestern distribution center, located in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. The SIG-qualified TruBlu mesh control network consists of 320 nodes and 40 control zones encompassing the 175,000 ft2 facility, and estimated energy savings exceed 250,000 kWh annually.
Yamaha’s Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin facility provides a geographically central location for the final manufacture, packaging and distribution of a wide range of powersports equipment, including ATVs, snowmobiles, watercraft, Side-by-Side vehicles, and motorcycles. The facility includes rack and aisleway storage, open assembly and packaging areas and administrative spaces. The project team migrated from legacy light sources to LED lighting, selecting 2-foot linear high bay LED fixtures with a 5000k color temperature to replace the existing T5 HO fixtures. Then, to maximize flexibility, they installed a TruBlu integrated occupancy sensor/control module on each fixture. This enabled the company to create and adjust control zones dynamically to accommodate any adjustments across the distribution center itself. While currently the facility is made up of approximately 40% aisleway and rack storage, with the remaining 60% devoted to open areas, the need for future reconfiguration was a possibility the team wanted to accommodate.
While the team could design the project via the TruBlu web-based portal, groups configured, they ended up doing much of the design and configuration from the TruBlu smartphone app while on the facility floor. As Pentalux controls designer Romano Vlastelica noted, “Having the smartphone app made it easy for us to create some preliminary control scenarios to test and share with the Yamaha facilities team. We were able to customize the scenario more precisely in a matter of minutes.” McWong project lead Anthony Savalle added, “We were able to commission the entire project in less than a half-day!”
Completed in December 2019, the project is anticipated to save the facility nearly 250,000 kWh annually, for a cost savings of $32,415 annually. The team projects that approximately 25% of this total savings is attributable to the mesh control network. Download the complete case study here.
About McWong International
For 30+ years, McWong has produced superior lighting controls and related electrical power and protection components. Today, McWong has engineered IoT solutions for today’s rapidly changing marketplace. With advanced design and manufacturing facilities, McWong offers extensive component choices for OEMs as well as robust solutions for contractors, ESCOs and facility managers. More information about McWong can be found at www.mcwonginc.com.